facebooktwitterlinkedinyoutube

Press Releases

Post Office: National Govt ignores the serious implications of a strike

Post Office: National Govt ignores the serious implications of a strike

The National Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services has chosen not to get involved in this alarming issue, stating that salary issues are between employees and the employer, the South African Post Office (SAPO).

I will today write to the National Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services, Dr Siyabonga Cwele, to call on him to intervene before the SAPO employees go on strike.

SAPO initially planned stagger salaries, the first 50% was to be paid on the 25th of October and the second payment of 50% was to be made on the 31st of October 2015. However, SAPO has since amended this to a 70% initial payment, with the remaining 30% to be paid by this Saturday.

The Communications Workers Union (CWU) they indicated that they have not been receiving their full salaries for the last few months and are planning to strike. They have said that this strike will make their 2014 3 month strike seem minuscule.

The DA in the Western Cape remains seriously concerned about the potentially devastating impact that the impending strike by the CWU will have on the people of the Western Cape who cannot be left without access to a postal service.

Click to view ACTIONaBr now!