An exciting week for the team, great scenery, a Gorilla trip, bad roads, the team temporarily splits up, no major vehicle problems, and a strange encounter with a local Askari

Five weeks - Stage 3 of the c2c22 mission – Chartwell SA to Chartwell UK – Distance travelled 8600kms August 22nd. - Djibouti East Africa

Part of the team is currently in Djibouti East Africa on the horn of Africa the rest were stuck at the wind farm across the border when one of the older Landies had some clutch and radiator problems and they had to fly in a new radiator to the wind farm. 

The team made good progress this last week with no major vehicle incidents, splitting up temporary to tackle different routes, visiting some of the most scenic terrain and countryside to date, stopping in at the famous Gorilla Park, and experiencing some of the worst roads and tracks which was a huge challenge for the teams Land Rovers. They spent some time at one of the most beautiful lakes where they had a day swimming and washing keeping an eye out for the crocs, hippos, and other wild animals. 

In one area there was nowhere to stay so they camped by the roadside, there was also a technical problem with one of the Landies. With the help of a local, it was towed to one of the largest wind farms and loaned their workshop to repair the vehicle, and fly in parts, while they were allowed to camp safely on their property. Locals to date have been extremely friendly and helpful.

The biggest problem so far was from Alley when she announced that she has not washed her hair for 5 weeks, the team is now in DJIBOUTI East Africa on the Horn of Africa its then onto Turkey, Antalya, and Istanbul.

“A strange encounter with a self-appointed askari who was galloping down the road at full tilt with his torch. We couldn't believe our eyes! He didn't seem the slightest bit perturbed or out of breath and proceeded to help us find a good camping spot and make a fire,” said Trevor Stiebel’s wife, Helen. "He didn't speak a word of English, in fact, he was totally silent, but he had the most expressive sign language I have ever seen. He told us that the spot we were in was not safe for camping and that we should continue further down the road, which we did, stopping occasionally to look at prospective campsites.”

“After a double helping of Steve's gourmet rice and sausage hot pot, he settled down in the sand with a log as a pillow, covered himself with his kaross, and went to sleep. In the morning we drank coffee together and he graciously allowed us to take some photographs of him. There was then more intense sign language communication from which we deduced that Alley's beautiful face was causing great emotions in his heart but that he really needed to go home to his family!"

“The second part was a little less clear, we were either in danger of some local tribe killing us and roasting us on the fire, or he wanted to go and kill an animal and roast it on the fire for us. We decided both options were probably best avoided, and we said our farewells. In all this time he never uttered a word, all his communication was done with hands, actions, and facial expressions,” said Helen Stiebel Helen.