Buying a second-hand vehicle can be a daunting experience but Jeff Osborne, Gumtree SA Head of Automotive, says the process can be much easier if you learn from the experts.
The winners of the 2018 Gumtree Auto Pre-Owned Awards will be announced next week and a highly qualified judging panel has been busy assessing five finalists in each of eleven categories. Osborne says every buyer should use the same criteria as those judges.
- Have a budget and look for the best vehicle in that price range.
- Carefully assess the value of any maintenance plan or warranty or the likely potential cost of paying for servicing and repairs yourself - familiar favourites from mainstream manufacturers are the best for accessible and affordable parts.
- Fuel economy is vital in the current economic environment.
- The optimal age of a pre-owned vehicle is between one and three years - every finalist in the Gumtree Awards is assessed on a 2016 model.
- Prioritise safety – make sure brakes, tyres, lights and wipers are in good order or are easily fixable if they are not.
- Get a full verification report done by TransUnion on any prospective purchase to ensure that you are buying a legitimate vehicle.
The best pre-owned cars on the South African market, as determined by the judges of the 2018 Gumtree Auto Pre-Owned Awards, will be announced on Monday 8 October.