- The trendy Renault KWID has proved its popularity through an excess of 20,000 sales since initial launch in November 2016.
- Renault's KWID -which offers affordable mobility to all- is set to become even more sought-after within the entry level segment with the addition of several enhancements, including smartphone mirroring, ABS brakes and seatbelt warning.
- The intrinsics of the Renault KWID remain, with the additional features set to enhance its appeal -
- SUV-inspired KWID design offers impressive 180mm ground clearance providing the lift to take on any challenge with ease
- Spaciousness of the Renault KWID is in line with upper segment vehicles comfortably accommodating 5 people with an ample 300 litres boot space
- Unprecedented features in its segment include: 7" Touchscreen MediaNav® with Bluetooth®, USB, AUX and MP3 playback. Now with the integration of smartphone mirroring with Apple Car Play® and Android Auto compatibility
- Driver's airbag, front electric windows, seatbelt warning, aircon, remote central locking and ABS brakes now standard on all derivatives
- Powered by Renault's new 1.0-litre Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine optimised for increased performance and efficiency, enabling frugal fuel consumption from only 4.4 litres/ 100km [on the AMT model]
- Kwid ABS Range priced from just R134 900, including 1 Years' Comprehensive Insurance, 2 Years' Service Plan and 5 Years' Warranty
Renault's entry segment contender, the SUV-inspired KWID hatchback has taken the vehicle market by storm with monthly sales exceeding expectations, and an overwhelming 20,000 plus vehicles sold since its debut in November 2016. The ever-popular Renault KWID took proud 3rd position amongst South Africa's 10 best-selling passenger cars of February 2019, with 1,069 units sold.
This month sees a further development to the Renault KWID range with the introduction of ABS across all the KWID derivatives, i.e. the Kwid Expression and Dynamique manual, Dynamique AMT and Climber models. Together with the integration of smartphone mirroring i.e. Apple Car Play & Android Auto from the Dynamique models upwards, which will no doubt increase the Kwid's appeal.
An innovative and affordable entry-level vehicle, the new Renault KWID overturns established entry segment design cues thanks to its robust, stylish exterior plus a modern and inviting interior equipped with generous cabin space as well as features and fitments normally unattainable in its class.
With its appealing design and array of equipment, the new KWID hatchback remains a viable offering which is sure to meet the needs of anyone looking to buy an entry-level car.
TECHNOLOGY BEYOND ENTRY-LEVEL SEGMENT NORMS
The KWID offers a modern, intuitive interior which includes technologies that not only meet drivers' needs but also make driving simpler and safer.
Innovative features that ensure that driver and passengers stay connected include a state-of-the-art user-friendly multi-media system complete with a first-in-class large 7" (18cm) touchscreen colour display, encased in its piano black centre console with chrome surround (Dynamique only). The Multimedia system comes with a range of functions such as Bluetooth® audio streaming and hands-free telephony, USB & AUX-input ports, speed sensing volume control, and has now been upgraded to incorporate smartphone mirroring with Apple Car Play® and Android Auto compatibility, allowing consumers the benefit of using their preferred smartphone maps application, for example, Google Maps or Waze.
The Renault KWID now also offers seatbelt warning functionality, alerting consumers to buckle up through a consistent flashing light and an escalating alert tone, as a safety precaution.
The Renault KWID is powered by an innovative 1.0 litre 3-cylinder Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, which make driving both smooth and engaging, with automatic offerings planned for later.
The distinctive SUV-like stance of the KWID, and high ground clearance (at 180mm, more than most of its competitors) offers a high driving position and greater visibility making it ideal for zipping around in urban traffic or cruising down the open highway.
The entry-level KWID is contemporary and smart, inside and out, combining the comfort and functional user-friendliness of a city car with a spacious interior and a host of stowage solutions.
INNOVATIVE SUV-INSPIRED STYLING WITH CLASS-LEADING SPACE
The exterior design of the Renault KWID will definitely invite a second look. Its class-leading ground clearance combined with short front and rear overhangs exude an impression of strength, reliability and the look associated with SUVs.
The boldly structured front grille design highlights Renault's trademark diamond-shaped logo while the headlights incorporate Renault's new lighting signature with a C-shaped chrome trim.
Stylish fog lamps further enhance the Renault KWID's striking stance. The chiselled muscular front end flows into a dynamic profile accentuated by turn indicators on the fender cladding.
The sculpted sides provide a fluid dynamic touch with the rectangular forms of the black wheel arches further accentuating the KWID's SUV-like styling.
While the lower door decor underlines the KWID's robust character, the steeply-raked, forward-positioned windscreen lends a sense of movement and fluidity to the high waistline which rises slightly at the rear. The large windows ensure good visibility for the driver and play a big part in travelling comfort while the sharp creases on the bonnet give it a muscular look.
At the rear, the lower part of the bumper comes with a black trim - another SUV cue - and the body-coloured tailgate spoiler adds to the car's dynamic stance.
The Renault KWID's interior carries over the same bold and confidence-inspiring styling as the outside. The horizontal, uncluttered lines of the dashboard convey an impression of width and refinement. The digital instrument cluster and piano black centre fascia which encases the centrally-positioned MediaNAV system creates a contemporary high-quality feel that combines practicality and style (Dynamique only). Whilst the chrome highlights on the side AC vents and control knobs lend the KWID a stylish edge.
This trendy entry-level vehicle features SUV styling and construction. Its high stance and durable design underscore a sense of security while its longer wheelbase (2 422mm) allows for a surprisingly spacious and comfortable cabin with ample rear leg room. Boot space of 300 litres puts the new Renault KWID on par with an upper segment vehicle.
The KWID's comfortably seats five and is complemented by a host of additional and useful features. The black, red and grey fabric of the ergo smart cabin further give the Renault KWID's interior a sporty feel. The height adjustable front seats are generously sized offering superior comfort while the electric power steering and one-touch lane change indicator make driving a breeze. The chunky steering wheel ensures one is always in control while the 4-way adjustable driver seat allows for the most ideal driving position. And then there's the one touch lane change indicator, which makes driving a breeze.
Electric front windows add to driver and front passenger convenience while the powerful air-conditioning with heater ensures driving pleasure irrespective of the weather. All controls are easy to reach from both driver and passenger sides. The open storage space facing the front passenger, lower glove box (plus upper glove box in Dynamique variant), driver and passenger in-door storage space with 1-litre bottle holder and rear parcel tray translate to practical and convenient stowage space.
OPTIMISED ENGINE EFFICIENCY
The compact 1.0- litre 3-cylinder Smart Control efficiency (SCe) engine powering the KWID models has been optimised for power and performance and pushes out peak power of 50kW @ 5 500 rpm and maximum torque of 91Nm @ 4 250 rpm.
Driverswill enjoy its good responsiveness and drivability at low revs and wide torque band across the rpm range. An extremely fuel efficient petrol powered engine, it's paired to a 5-speed manual gearbox and delivers an incredible 4.7 litres/100 km and 4.4 litres/100km with the AMT transmission.
Key features include:
- One of the lightest engines in the 1 litre range with aluminium cylinder block and head. Optimized usage of composite materials for weight reduction.
- Low friction design: Features include steel forged crankshaft with optimized bearing dimensions.
- Stainless steel close coupled catalytic converter for quick warm-up and best emission / consumption balance.
- F1-inspired state-of-the-art technology: Double loop Lambda monitoring and electrical controlled throttle body for accurate air / fuel ratio monitoring; knock sensor for automatic spark advance adjustment to fuel quality.
- Optimized valve timing for increased volumetric efficiency in order to achieve a flatter torque band.
- One of best-in-class power-to-weight ratios.
PEACE-OF-MIND REMAINS STANDARD
As is standard across Renault's entire product range, the Renault KWID model range comes standard with a 5-year/150 000km mechanical warranty and a 6-year anti-corrosion warranty, plus a 2-year service plan, with services scheduled at15 000km intervals.
The KWID model range still offers the value-add of 1-year's Comprehensive Insurance Cover, to further promote peace-of-mind driving.
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICING [Inclusive of VAT]
- NEW Renault KWID Expression 1.0-litre SCe R 134 900
- NEW Renault KWID Dynamique 1.0-litre SCe R 144 900
- NEW Renault KWID Dynamique AMT 1.0-litre SCe R 154 900
- NEW Renault KWID Climber 1.0-litre SCe R 154 900
Metallic paint - R2 522