2.4-litre Turbo Boxer Engine and Subaru Global Platform bring enhanced dynamic performance to Subaru's flagship sedan
- Marking the 30th anniversary of its debut, Subaru's next generation sedan has been significantly upgraded
- Superior driving dynamics with Subaru Global Platform and an available 2.4-litre direct injection turbo boxer engine
- Refined and innovative interior featuring new tablet-style 11.6-inch screen
- Superior safety based on Subaru's comprehensive safety philosophy
- Sleek, yet bold exterior design expressing solid toughness and dynamic in-motion feel
Subaru Corporation unveiled the all-new 2020 Legacy sedan (US Spec) at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show on February 7 (local time in Chicago).
Subaru Legacy, which has been Subaru's flagship sedan since its debut in 1989, turns into the seventh generation with this all-new model. In its 30 years of history, Legacy has been enriching the lives of its owners as a vehicle that accompanies them in their day-to-day lives, by offering a broader range of lifestyles and enjoyment. This seventh generation also carries the same value and has enhanced it under the product concept of "a sedan offering a go-anywhere, do-anything driving experience with a peace of mind".
The all-new Legacy is powered by either a 2.4-litre turbocharged BOXER engine delivering strong torque output from low RPM or a 2.5-litre normally-aspirated BOXER engine with improved efficiency thanks to direct injection system. Combined with the new engine is the Subaru Global Platform which optimizes the body rigidity, and Legacy's dynamic performance has been significantly enhanced as a result. In addition, Subaru's exclusive EyeSight driver assist system comes standard in all trims and now equipped for the first time in the U.S. with the Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control including new Lane Centering function. Driver monitoring system*1 also supports the safe driving and brings peace of mind to passengers.
The exterior design incorporates a sleek silhouette that appears to be in motion even when stopped, larger thickness in profile panel surfaces and a thicker appearance. As a result, the Legacy embodies solid toughness and a dynamic active image at the same time. For the interior, an updated infotainment system featuring a new 11.6-inch tablet style large screen has been applied and adds innovative new functions to the high-quality interior which Legacy has carried for generations.
With a lot of additional enhancements, the all-new Legacy will deliver safer and more enjoyable life with "a sedan offering a go-anywhere, do-anything driving experience with a peace of mind" which meets the demands for the coming era.
The 2020 Legacy will go on sale at U.S. Subaru retailers this fall.
Main features of the new Legacy (US Spec)
1. Enjoyment and peace of mind in any driving scene supported by superior dynamic quality
Improved control, stability, ride comfort, and quietness of the new Legacy enables worry-free driving in a variety of scenes, from cities to long drives, in any weather conditions
2. Chassis and body which support superior dynamic quality
- Application of the Subaru Global Platform, which makes the vehicle body significantly rigid compared to previous model, ensures accurate steering response, greater ride comfort and quieter cabin space
- Significant enhancement in dynamic quality thanks to stiffer and lighter body structure with Subaru first full inner frame construction in which the outer panels are welded to the structure after the entire body framework is assembled
- Newly designed dampers and reduced unsprung weight due to the application of lightweight parts including aluminium lower L-arm contribute to much improved handling and ride comfort
3. Subaru unique mechanisms and technologies for distinctive driving experience
- Standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive offers a stable drive in any road conditions
- Available 2.4-litre turbocharged BOXER engine generates strong torque from low rpm and delivers smooth acceleration
- Updated Lineartronic*2 with wider gear range and re-worked hydraulic system transfers engine power more efficiently and achieves better fuel economy and superior driving experience
4. High-quality and innovative interior space
Quality interior design, relaxing cabin space with improved packaging, and advanced feature with innovative functions provide comfort and enjoyment for all passengers
5. Innovative features for convenience and comfort
- Updated Starlink infotainment system with available 11.6-inch tablet-style touch screen equipped with a newly designed Human Machine Interface enables smartphone-like operation of various functions consolidated on one large screen
- In addition to Apple CarPlay*3 and Android AutoTM*4, the SUBARU STARLINK now supports SmartDeviceLinkTM*5 which enables the use of various apps regardless of a smartphone operating system
- Telematics system with additional functions including Wi-Fi hotspot and remote engine starter for more convenience
- Available Driver Monitoring System, which can alert the driver to signs of drowsiness or distraction on the road as well as automatically adjusting driver settings for seat position, door mirror angles and air-conditioning preferences with utilization of face recognition technology
6. High quality, comfortable interior design
- Subaru first tan-coloured Nappa leather seats for a newly added top-of-the-line trim 'Touring'
- Enlarged windshield and long line motif extended from the centre of the instrument panel to the door panels express a relaxed and open atmosphere of the cabin space
- The colour of the seat material is applied on a part of the instrument panel consisting of 3 different surfaces to create a sense of openness
- Thick centre console and arm rests surrounding passengers provide sense of protection
- Carefully selected materials for high quality feel throughout the entire cabin
7. Well-considered packaging and convenient features for a comfortable feeling
- Windshield has been moved forward and the front door windows moved outward for a class-leading driver visibility
- Extended overall vehicle length allocated for both rear passenger space and trunk space to improve passenger comfort and versatility at the same time
- New PTC heating system for quicker heating in winter (For 2.4L Turbocharged Boxer engine equipped model)
- Front seat ventilation standard for Touring trim
- Adjustable seat cushion length (driver only) for Limited and Touring trim level
8. Functionality that supports various lifestyles
New Legacy is equipped with functions which support a wide range of active lifestyles, beyond traditional sedans. Standard roof carrier brackets for easy installation of roof carriers. Large trunk space which can swallow four full-size roller bags
9. Overall safety top in its class
Primary Safety enhanced further
- The excellent high eye-level view and careful optimization of the shape of the pillars have reduced blind spots and provides outstanding visibility
- Well-considered interface layout to reduce unnecessary eye-movement while driving
- Optimization of the seat shape and cushion materials helps to reduce driver fatigue
- Driving performance which the driver can depend on in the unlikely event of an Incident-Active Safety
- Active Torque Vectoring ensures that the driver is in control of the vehicle, exactly as the driver intended
Comprehensive advanced safety systems-Preventive Safety
- Subaru's exclusive EyeSight driver assist system comes standard in all trims and now equipped for the first time in the U.S. with the new Advanced Adaptive Cruise Control including new Lane Centering function
- EyeSight assist monitor notifies the system activation status with LED lighting projected on the windshield
- Driver Monitoring System supports safe driving by providing a warning when it detects signs of distraction or drowsiness
- Standard LED headlights for better night-time visibility
- Reverse Automatic Braking helps to avoid collisions when reversing and mitigates the damage in case of collision
- Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection system senses vehicles approaching from the rear and gives an audio and visual alert
- Front view monitor captures images within the driver's blind spots in front of the vehicle and displays a 180-degree view on the 11.6-inch display
Class-leading passenger protection-Collision Safety
- Optimized body structure with the adoption of the Subaru Global Platform ensures class-leading passenger protection
- An increase in the amount of high-tensile steel panel materials ensures improved protection in frontal, side and rear end collision
*1: "DriverFocus" for US model
*2: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with fully automatic electronic control
*3: Apple CarPlay is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. in the United States and other territories.
*4: Android AutoTM is a registered trademark of Google LLC. in the United States and other territories.
*5: SmartDeviceLinkTM is a registered trademark of SmartDeviceLink Consortium, Inc. in the United States and other territories.
Major Specification of the new Legacy (US Spec)
(Length x width x height)
|4840 × 1840 × 1500 mm
(190.6 × 72.4 × 59.1 in.)
|Minimum ground clearance||150 mm
2.4-litre Horizontally Opposed
Opposed four-cylinder, DOHC,
|Bore x stroke||94 × 86mm||94 × 90 mm|
|Horsepower||260hp / 5600rpm||182 hp / 5,800 rpm|
|Torque||277lb-ft / 2000-4800rpm||176 lb-ft / 4,400 rpm|
|Fuel tank capacity||70 L (18.5 gal.)|
|Drive system||Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive|
|Tire size||225/55 R17, 225/50 R18|
Subaru Southern Africa is yet to decide on the local introduction of this model.