Which vehicles are ideal for first-time drivers? Here Angelique Lynch, AutoTrader Marketing Director, compiles a list of the top 10 vehicles that will make good first-time buys.
“Good options are always the Volkswagen Polo or Polo Vivo, the Toyota Aygo, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Micra, and Suzuki Swift, as well as the Suzuki Celerio", comments Lynch. “These vehicles are all safe, economical and relatively affordable”, she points out. “New launches you’ll want to know about include the new Renault Duster which comes out towards the end of the year, and the new Datsun GO”.
A reputable source has disclosed that from November 2018, the Datsun GO will be gaining ABS and will have two airbags as standard. Its frugal 1.2-litre engine sips 5.2 litres of fuel per 100 km/h (according to the manufacturer), and it carries an affordable price tag.
The new Renault Duster is available in either 4x2 or 4x4 guise. The 1.5-litre diesel engine offers good fuel consumption of just 4.8 litres/100 km (according to Renault).
“If you’re looking for a higher-priced new vehicle with all the green credentials, you’ll want to know about the Nissan LEAF”, Lynch suggests.
The Nissan Leaf won Best Electric Car at the Whatcar? 2018 awards and it is the world's best-selling electric car. “It’s a more expensive option, but it's cheap to run, and kinder to the environment, of course", Lynch points out. The all-new Leaf is rumoured to have a bigger battery, a more powerful motor and an extended range. Nissan is still to announce the launch date in South Africa.
Top 10 vehicles and their starting prices:
- Datsun GO. To be launched
- Ford Fiesta. Starting price of R 261 900 for the 1.0T Trend.
- Nissan Leaf. To be launched.
- Nissan Micra. Starting price of R 233 500 for the 66kW turbo Visia.
- Renault Duster. Starting price of R 246 900 for the 1.6 Expression.
- Suzuki Celerio. Starting price of R 138 500 for the 1.0 GA.
- Suzuki Swift. Starting price of R 159 900 for the 1.2 GA.
- Toyota Aygo. Starting price of R 166 800 for the 1.0.
- Volkswagen Polo. Starting price of R 209 500 for the sedan 1.4 Trendline.
- Volkswagen Polo Vivo. Starting price of R 182 200 for the hatch 1.4 Trendline.
Price source: http://duoporta.co.za