- The Subaru Global Platform ensures best-in-class small SUV segment levels of comfort and safety
- Newly enhanced direct-injection horizontally opposed four-cylinder engines
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and enhanced X-Mode provides outstanding driving performance and the off-road drivability expected of an SUV.
- SA models will arrive at Subaru retailers in Q1 of 2019
Tokyo, March 29, 2018 - Subaru Corporation unveiled the all-new 2019 Forester (US Spec) at the 2018 New York International Auto Show on March 28 (local time).
As a top-selling model of Subaru's global sales, the fifth-generation Forester is positioned as a key part of the company's global strategy. The new model features packaging that allows all passengers to share comfort and enjoyment, balancing easy handling with a spacious interior, and user-friendly features.
In line with Subaru's design philosophy "Dynamic x Solid," the new design combines the hardiness of an SUV with user-friendly comfort and convenience.
The Subaru Global Platform achieves top-of-its-class collision safety and hazard avoidance, along with handling that responds exactly as the driver intended, and comfortable drivability.
The latest model features Subaru core technologies including EyeSight driver assist system, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive built around newly developed direct-injection engines, and X-Mode for enhanced all-terrain drivability, the latest model features improved performance and an everyday experience of excitement and enjoyment, offering comfort, fun, and adventure.
The new Forester will go on sale in the South Africa market in the first Quarter of 2019. Specifications and power units are still to be confirmed for the local introduction and are expected to differ from the US Spec model revealed.
ALL-NEW 2019 FORESTER (US SPEC)
Main features of the new Forester (US Spec)
1. Comfortable and functional packaging for ease of use and enjoyment for all passengers
The new model features packaging that balances excellent handling with the roomiest cabin yet, offering comfort and enjoyment for family and friends and easy-to-use features.
The Perfect Size for Easy Handling
- Although the wheelbase has been increased for a more comfortable cabin space than ever, the minimum turning radius is just 5.4 m, ensuring excellent ease of handling.
Excellent Comfort, Seat Accessibility, and Loading Convenience
- Enhanced cabin comfort, with more space between passengers and more leg room in the back seats
- Optimization of rear door opening angle, opening area, and C-pillar shape, improves back seat accessibility
- ?A maximum trunk opening width of 1,300 mm, larger than average for a mid-sized SUV, and square cargo storage space, provide a dramatic increase in loading capacity.
- ?The drive unit for power rear gate has been integrated with the gate stay and offers more cargo storage space. It also provides faster opening and closing and a new locking system, incorporated for the first time in a Subaru vehicle, makes automatic closing of the rear gate and vehicle locking with just a touch of a button.
Convenient Features for Comfort in Motion
- USB charger ports (max. output 2.1A) provided for both front and back seat passengers.
- New Human Machine Interface (HMI) air-conditioning incorporated for the first time in Subaru vehicles, allows exact adjustment of temperature controls, for in-cabin comfort according to the number of passengers.
- The debut of the Driver Monitoring System, which can alert the driver to signs of drowsiness or distraction on the road as well as automatically adjusting driver settings for seat position, door mirror angles, and air-conditioning preferences.
- Available 8-inch screen navigation and latest infotainment system
- Improved connectivity compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
2. New Design Combines SUV Toughness and Functionality
The new model combines the toughness of an SUV with functionality, based on the "Dynamic x Solid" design philosophy common to all Subaru vehicles
- SUV toughness and dynamism, allied with generous storage space and intuitive functionality that can be understood at a glance
- Exterior available in nine colours, including the newly-developed Jasper Green Metallic exclusive to the new Forester
- Accent colours, high gloss black, and exclusive aluminium wheels highlight the new model's SUV robustness and sleek strength.
- In addition to the functional and user-friendly cabin layout, the instrument panel and console have been combined for a more relaxed feeling of freedom in addition to the hardiness you demand from an SUV
- In some models with black and grey as the base colours, accent colours in the centre console and seat stitching emphasize the dynamism of the interior.
3. SUV Toughness and Driving Enjoyment
Featuring Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive built around the new 2.5L four-cylinder horizontally opposed direct injection engine, X-Mode for easier handling in poor driving conditions, and the Subaru Global Platform, the new model ensures a comfortable and enjoyable ride for the driver and all passengers.
Active All-Terrain Toughness
- Incorporates Subaru's exclusive Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system, providing stable driving performance on all surfaces, from snow and mud to wet roads and highways
- Optimization of the X-Mode that controls engine, transmission, and brakes on slippery surfaces and in poor driving conditions improves drivability in off-road conditions and on poor surfaces. In some models, a dial allows easy switching between two modes depending on road conditions, improving driver's confidence and peace of mind.
- Minimum ground clearance is 220 mm, along with the widest possible approach and departure angles and the ramp breakover angle. The new model offers excellent road clearance for a wider range of activities than ever before.
Improved Dynamic Feel
- The Subaru Global Platform brings significant improvements to dynamic quality, achieving superior driving capability that engages the emotional senses with smooth performance and pleasant drivability.
4. Overall safety top in its class
The new model offers safe and enjoyable driving for all passengers at all times and in all settings-not just in emergencies-offering safety features that place it at the top of its class, based on Subaru's philosophy of overall safety.
Outstanding Visibility Recognizable at a Glance as Soon as You Get into the Car-Primary Safety
- The excellent high eye-level view and careful optimization of the shape of the pillars has reduced blind spots and provides outstanding visibility
- Optimization of the seat shape and cushion materials helps to reduce driver fatigue
Driving Performance, You Can Depend on in the Unlikely Event of an Incident-Active Safety
- Active Torque Vectoring ensures that you are in control of the vehicle exactly as you intended
Comprehensive Advanced Safety Systems-Preventive Safety
- Subaru's exclusive EyeSight driver assist system with improved detection capability
- Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection system detects vehicles approaching from the rear
- Steering Responsive Headlights provide clear night-time vision
- High-beam assist improves visibility when driving at night
- Subaru's first-ever Driver Monitoring System provides support for safe driving by providing a warning when it detects signs of distraction or drowsiness at the wheel
Class-Leading Protection of Every Passenger-Collision Safety
- The Subaru Global Platform ensures class-leading passenger protection
- An increase in the amount of high-tensile steel panel materials ensures improved collision safety and a lighter body
- A total of seven airbags (SRS airbags in the driver's seat and passenger seat, SRS knee airbag in the driver's seat, SRS side airbags, and SRS side curtain airbags) come as standard in all models, providing class-leading levels of passenger protection.