Aftermarket & Ride Performance Company; Powertrain Technology Company
- Transformational acquisition accelerates long-term value creation by creating two focused, purpose built industry leaders in their respective markets with greater scale, and strategic and financial flexibility.
- Brings together complementary businesses - the aftermarket and ride performance company will include Tenneco Ride Performance and Federal-Mogul Motorparts, and the powertrain technology company will include Tenneco Clean Air and Federal-Mogul Powertrain.
- The aftermarket & ride performance original equipment company will be one of the world’s leading multi-line aftermarket and OE suppliers with:
- Premier aftermarket brands, broad product coverage and strong distribution;
- A strong portfolio of OE braking and advanced suspension technologies and capabilities;
- An outstanding strategic position to 1) improve go-to-market capabilities in the Americas and EMEA regions, 2) capture Asia Pacific aftermarket growth, and 3) capitalize on new OE trends in mobility, electrification/autonomous driving.
- The powertrain technology company will be one of the largest pure play powertrain suppliers globally with:
- A portfolio of engine-to-tailpipe products and system solutions;
- An excellent position to capture content growth due to 1) the demand for improved engine performance, 2) tightening fuel economy and criteria pollutant regulations, 3) light vehicle hybridization trends, and 4) commercial truck and off-highway expansion opportunities.
- Acquisition expected to be value accretive and generate synergy opportunities of at least $200 million in annual earnings and $250 million in working capital.
Lake Forest, Illinois, April 10, 2018 – Tenneco (NYSE: TEN), one of the world’s leading designers, manufacturers and distributors of Ride Performance and Clean Air products and technology solutions for diversified markets, announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Federal-Mogul, a leading global supplier to original equipment manufacturers and the aftermarket. Federal-Mogul is being acquired from Icahn Enterprises L.P. for a total consideration of $5.4 billion to be funded through cash, Tenneco equity and assumption of debt.
Tenneco also announced its intention to separate the combined businesses into two independent, publicly traded companies through a tax-free spin-off to shareholders that will establish an aftermarket & ride performance company and a powertrain technology company.
The acquisition is expected to close in the second half of 2018, subject to regulatory and shareholder approvals and other customary closing conditions, with the separation occurring in the second half of 2019.
“This is a landmark day for Tenneco with an acquisition that will transform the company by creating two strong leading global companies, each in an excellent position to capture opportunities unique to their respective markets,” said Brian Kesseler, CEO, Tenneco. “Federal-Mogul brings strong brands, products and capabilities that are complementary to Tenneco’s portfolio and in line with our successful growth strategies. Unleashing two new product focused companies with even stronger portfolios will allow them to move faster in executing on their specific growth priorities.”
Carl C. Icahn, Chairman of Icahn Enterprises, stated: “Icahn Enterprises acquired majority control of Federal-Mogul in 2008 when we saw an out-of-favor market opportunity for a great company. During that time, we have built one of the leading global suppliers of automotive products. I am very proud of the business we have built at Federal-Mogul and agree with Tenneco regarding the tremendous value in the business combination and separation into two companies. We expect to be meaningful stockholders of Tenneco going forward and are excited about the prospects for additional value creation.”