NEASA Youth Program has partnered with a technical training provider to offer qualifying employers the opportunity to host apprentices, who have successfully completed the theory component of their qualification, in order to gain the relevant and suitable workplace exposure and to apply theoretical and practical competencies within a real-life work environment.
Students who are available for placement, fall within the six trade categories listed below:
- fitter and turner
- diesel/tractor mechanic
Benefits of hosting an apprentice:
- access additional entry-level technical labour at minimal cost to company;
- host-employer can claim Employment Tax Incentive;
- a cost-saving (up to R160 000) due to the academic component of the apprenticeship being completed;
- employing an apprentice that is already operating at a much higher level than a normal 1st-year apprentice;
- interview suitable students with the view to select and appoint the best-suited candidate;
- employer can increase his/her workforce without having to commit to employment thereafter; and
- claim learnership tax allowance in terms of S12(h) of the Income Tax Act.
NEASA Youth Program will provide the following services:
- recruitment and matching of suitable interns with the employer according to the employers’ needs and logistic requirements;
- assisting with the scheduling of learner interviews;
- guiding and assisting with apprenticeship contract documents, student leave and wage negotiations;
- guiding and assisting the employer with mentor registration and workplace approval with their relevant SETA;
- provision of a “tool list” for the different trades;
- assisting the students with logbooks and scheduling of trade test dates;
- attending to any industrial relations and labour law matters during the apprenticeship;
- site visits to include student support services and host employer liaison services; and
- assisting with formal placement once the student has qualified.
Apprentices’ salaries and fees of the service provider:
Apprentices’ salaries vary between R6 500 and R8 000 per month. The employer will pay the salary directly to the apprentice. The admin cost/services fee (for services listed above) for the host employer to participate in this initiative is R1 850.00 (excl. VAT) per apprentice, per month for the contracted duration of the apprenticeship.
In order to gauge employers and to determine the possible uptake, we request employers to complete a short survey indicating whether they would be interested in accessing this opportunity. Please click here to complete the survey and indicate your interest.