Growth, jobs and civil liberties under threat
FUNDING PROPOSAL: COVID-and-Beyond Campaign
The Free Market Foundation (FMF), while sympathising with government’s concerns regarding the healthcare crisis, believes the lockdown and its knock-on effects have done and will continue to do incalculable damage to the economy and to our democratic institutions. We envisage a South Africa in which:
- Growth is stagnant, and unemployment and poverty rampant.
- Land, hospitals and banks are nationalised.
- “Radical economic transformation” and “structural reform” become the “new normal”, completely ignoring proven free market solutions to poverty.
- The governing party, having had a taste of the “easy” way to introduce party-political reforms, continues to undermine our Constitution and civil liberties.
- Rule of Law, already a much-misunderstood and violated concept, is replaced entirely by rule of man.
Influencing the narrative
Since March 27, FMF has added a strong, consistent, and significant voice in the broader civil society resistance to the virtual-overnight stripping away of civil liberties and economic freedoms.
FMF’s COVID-and-Beyond campaign to date has comprised:
- Research and writing – reports, articles, media releases, CEO statements
- Interviews on radio and TV
- Social media activism – Facebook, Twitter, podcasts, cartoons
FMF’s ongoing COVID-and-Beyond campaign, part of our broader Growth Project, comprises:
- Research and writing for media publication
- Promotion of our trilogy of publications: Growth, Nationalisation and Jobs Jobs Jobs
- Promotion and marketing of the Economic Freedom of the World index and findings
- Lobbying via presentations to and networking with political parties, government officials, political analysts, unions, business, students, academia, associations, and others
- Special Economic Zones (SEZs): Drafting a “How To” document based on international best practice; lobbying politicians; and preparing proposed legislation, etc
- Updating Habits of Highly Effective Countries; dissemination and promotion
- Updating, re-publishing and promoting the FMF’s Laws Affecting Small Business series
- Revising, publishing and promoting Jobs for the Jobless – Special Exemption Certificates for the Unemployed
- Promoting a climate of appreciation throughout the country for the principles of good law
- Identifying problematic provisions in existing and proposed laws and, where feasible, correcting them
- Inculcating in all public officials and the public an appreciation of the Constitution
- Initiating a process of systematic review of existing legislation
- Regulatory Impact Assessments (RIAs): Lobbying government to legislate that RIAs be a requirement of all new legislation
- Conducting RIAs on existing and proposed legislation / policies to show how laws often have unintended consequences
We would appreciate it if you would consider an ad hoc donation toward the FMF’s ongoing COVID-and-beyond campaign.
Budget for initial phase: R800,000
No amount is too small (or too large!)